The Personal Health businesses grew by 9% on a comparable basis, with the Adjusted EBITA margin improving by 170 basis points.The Diagnosis & Treatment businesses posted comparable sales growth of 1%, and the Adjusted EBITA margin improved by 20 basispoints. In the Connected Care & Health Informatics businesses, comparable sales grew by 6%, while the Adjusted EBITA margin improved by 110 basis points.
- In line with Philips' strategy of building multi-year, strategic partnerships, the company signed a USD 36 million agreement with the Medical University of South Carolina Health focused on integrated patient monitoring solutions. In Europe, Philips signed a EUR 19 million agreement with Heart Hospital in Tampere, Finland, to jointly innovate in cardiac care.
- Strengthening its Digital Pathology business, Philips acquired PathXL, an innovator in digital pathology image analysis, workflow software and educational tools. Philips also signed a licensing agreement with Visiopharm to offer their breast cancer panel software algorithms with Philips’ IntelliSite digital pathology solution to support pathologists in providing an objective diagnosis of breast cancer.
- Building on Philips' expertise in sleep and respiratory care, the company launched the cloud-based Patient Adherence Management Service, which supports new patients' transition to sleep therapy.
- The Personal Care business successfully launched the OneBlade hybrid styler that trims, shaves and styles in France, the UK, Germany and North America. The Oral Healthcare business introduced the Philips Sonicare FlexCare Platinum Connected toothbrush, its latest innovation that uses Smart Sensor technology to help consumers optimize their brushing routine.
- Within the Image-Guided Therapy business, Philips Volcano delivered another strong performance with double-digit comparable sales growth and continued operational improvements. This was driven by growth across the smart catheter product portfolio, synergies with the Image-Guided Therapy Systems business and expansion into new geographies.
- Building on its commitment to sustainability, Philips launched its new 5-year 'Healthy people, sustainable planet' program to improve the lives of 2.5 billion people per year, increase its green revenues to 70% of sales, generate 15% of its sales from circular revenues and become carbon-neutral in its operations by 2020.
Frans van Houten, CEO,mentioned: "Our HealthTech portfolio grew 5%, driven by businesses in Personal Health and Connected Care & Health Informatics. We were able to drive further operational improvements while keeping up our significant investments in quality and innovation, including in healthinformatics, wearable patient monitoring solutions and digital pathology.
Equipment-order intake remained uneven and fell by 1% on a currency-comparable basis in the quarter. However, we expect good order intake growth in the second half of the year."
Related news articles:
- Philips Profile
About Royal Philips
Royal Philips (NYSE: PHG, AEX: PHIA) is a leading health technology company focused on improving people's health and enabling better outcomes across the health continuum from healthy living and prevention, to diagnosis, treatment and home care. Philips leverages advanced technology and deep clinical and consumer insights to deliver integrated solutions. The company is a leader in diagnostic imaging, image-guided therapy, patient monitoring and health informatics, as well as in consumer health and home care. Headquartered in the Netherlands, Philips' health technology portfolio generated 2015 sales of EUR 16.8 billion and employs approximately 69,000 employees with sales and services in more than 100 countries.